Lexus NX Forum banner

Will Lexus ever take back the US luxury sales crown?

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mister 
#1 ·

Lexus was the number one luxury brand in the US from the year 2000 to 2010. Unfortunately, in 2011 there was a terrible earthquake and tsunami that halted production in Japan. BMW and Mercedes-Benz overtook Lexus by releasing a barrage of models in segments that Lexus didn't compete in. Lexus has never regained that number one spot again, but will it ever?

Lexus currently sits in third place when comparing luxury brand sales in the US. BMW leads with Mercedes-Benz coming in second. It is pretty close, especially between 1st and 2nd place. BMW has so far sold 298,212 units in the first 11 months of the year. That is 10% higher than over the same period last year. Mercedes-Benz is close on the heels with 296,382 units, up 6% from a year ago. In third is Lexus with 271,510 vehicles sold, up 14% from a year ago.

So Lexus sales have been growing at a faster rate than the brands ahead of it. That seems like a good sign that Lexus could be making a comeback. Lexus' potential comeback is further boosted by the fact that the Lexus NX hasn't been factored in. Lexus General Manager Jeff Bracken says that the brand plans to sell 40,000 NXs next year. Add that 40,000 to Lexus' overall sales number and Lexus would be in first place. Obviously its not quite that simple, but I do think that Lexus may be able to take back its luxury sales crown by releasing cars into segments that they do not currently compete in.

Do you think that Lexus could take back the US luxury sales crown? What would they have to do to make that happen?

See less See more
#4 ·
I respect brands that haven't followed BMWs lead making ugly cars like the X6 more than those that just follow BMW's lead. Although the one thing that might make it a good move is if Lexus can find a way to make a vehicle in that class actually look good. That would be a true mark of success.

#6 ·
Do you think that Lexus' more bold styling precludes it from taking back that number one spot. The German brands have a more widely appealing styling IMO. I wonder if enough people are a fan of the spindle grille to have Lexus outpace BMW and Mercedes.

#8 ·
To be honest, among the young folks, BMW rules...at least around me. I think that BMW designs are among the best (exception being X6...but even then, not bad).

Mercedes is just weird right now.

Lexus is hit or miss. GS is just beautiful. IS is too agressive, but i like it too, but not in same league as GS. NX is in the middle...have not seen in real life to comment.

#10 ·
I like BMW design, but I think that any brand that is on top can't stay there forever. People will look elsewhere because part of luxury cars is the exclusivity. BMWs may be nice and popular, but there is a large swathe of people who don't want them precisely because they are the car that is most popular in their neighborhood.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.