Lexus NX Forum banner

Torque Steer

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CyberDude 
#1 ·
A while ago someone posted about torque steer and the NX. At the time I had not felt any. Recently when starting in Sport mode and doing a 90 degree turn I have felt a viscous amount of torque steer. This only happens when I am very heavy on the throttle in all other instances it is very well behaved. I have not felt this in ECO or normal modes.
I do not think that there is anything wrong just the engine over powering the front wheel drive. Once the rear kicks in all is well.

#4 ·
Torque steer try's to straighten out the steering in a corner. Some times it will feel like one wheel is slipping and the other is pulling hard. This only happens when the power of the engine over comes the ability of both wheels to provide proper traction. Once the traction control has kicked in and you are driving through all 4 wheels you should not feel any torque steer.
This only happens with high powered front wheel drive vehicles. The NX is front wheel priority. The BMW X1 that I had would loose traction but that was a rear wheel priority vehicle. It is very hard to control a 370hp vehicle on snow or ice.

#5 ·
The first front wheel drive vehicles were low powered but most suffered from torque steer to varying degrees. To counter this the half shafts were made equal lengths. As engines have become more powerful it has been harder to control torque steer. Much of that is done electronically through traction control and engine management. On the NX most of the time you will never feel torque steer. Even stomping on the throttle from a stop and turning will not produce torque steer unless you are in Sport mode. I have had a couple of times where the steering wheel fought to straighten out in my hands. My main reason for this thread is to make drivers aware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.