Lexus NX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellow NX owners!

I have had my Atomic Silver NX200t for 3 weeks now and couldn't be more in love with it! I have driven exactly 1400 miles and it is settling in well.

My question is this....the NX supposedly has a 15.9 gallon tank. However, when my range shows I have 39 miles left, and I go fill the tank, I am putting roughly 10.5 gallons into it. I run the NX in sport mode most of the time, I do have a heavy foot (usually between 75-80 on the highway), and my average mileage is 23.6 MPG. I am getting better gas mileage than I did in my 2012 Honda CRV that I traded in; I averaged 21-22 MPG in it. But for having the same size gas tanks, I am getting nearly 100 less miles per gas fill. I used to fill once per week, and now I am filling every 5 days.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why I am somehow "missing" nearly 4 gallons of fuel when the range tells me I am almost empty and I fill it with barely 10.5 gallons?

Other than this, I love my new NX, and I don't consider it a complaint; rather, I would just rather fill the tank once per week like my old SUV with the same size gas tank. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's interesting. We also traded in a 2012 CR-V for an Atomic Silver NX200T. Our AWD Honda was averaging 30-33 MPG so we won't see that again with the Lexus. I put 12 gallons into the NX the other day so we do not have the 10 gallon issue (yet). Interested to hear what others have to say who have owned theirs for a while. Only 700 miles on ours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hybrid

I have the 300H and I have the issue that my gas light turns on shortly after it passes the last quarter. The range when the gas light turns on keeps varying from 17 miles to 30 miles. I find it to be strange. I have only been getting around 25-27mpg in the hybrid and around 330-350 per tank which is much less than I was expecting. When I fill, I get around 11-12 gallons in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,

Just curious to why you guys are only able to fit 10 - 12 gallons of fuel in the tank if it specs allow of nearly 16 gallons? What could cause this? I'm guessing the tanks are all the right sizes.. maybe air pressure?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Good morning fellow NX owners!

I have had my Atomic Silver NX200t for 3 weeks now and couldn't be more in love with it! I have driven exactly 1400 miles and it is settling in well.

My question is this....the NX supposedly has a 15.9 gallon tank. However, when my range shows I have 39 miles left, and I go fill the tank, I am putting roughly 10.5 gallons into it. I run the NX in sport mode most of the time, I do have a heavy foot (usually between 75-80 on the highway), and my average mileage is 23.6 MPG. I am getting better gas mileage than I did in my 2012 Honda CRV that I traded in; I averaged 21-22 MPG in it. But for having the same size gas tanks, I am getting nearly 100 less miles per gas fill. I used to fill once per week, and now I am filling every 5 days.

Anyone else have any ideas as to why I am somehow "missing" nearly 4 gallons of fuel when the range tells me I am almost empty and I fill it with barely 10.5 gallons?

Other than this, I love my new NX, and I don't consider it a complaint; rather, I would just rather fill the tank once per week like my old SUV with the same size gas tank. :)
I have a RX330 and find that it is also conservative on the miles remaining and fuel remaining in the tank. My low fuel light comes on with roughly 6 gallons remaining, about double what the manual indicates. I think car companies do this because they don't want you running out of fuel and/or getting water or sediment into the fuel line. Also, certain driving conditions (such as hills or tight curves) can cause fuel to slosh or move away from the fuel pick-up point, simulating the effect of less fuel in the tank. There are also manufacturing tolerances that might cause your fuel light to come on "early".

Out of curiosity, how do you determine your MPG? Is it off the instruments or do you divide the miles driven by the the gallons fueled?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think the main reason is because car companies want to give extra room so that people never do run out of fuel. Its better if when it actually reads "0" you can still drive for a little bit and get to the gas station, instead of it actually stopping and you being stranded. I can understand it being annoying as far as accuracy goes though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone has shared so far! I did calculate it based off gallons to fill/gallons driven. It came pretty close to the calculations automatically computed on my dash display.

I finally "blew out the cobwebs" this weekend. Took the first road trip in the NX. 500 miles roundtrip. I averaged 23.1 MPG based on my dash readout, and 23.9MPG based on my calculations after filling. I wasn't conservative with her at ALL. Sport mode the entire time, average speed was somewhere in the vicinity of 80-90 MPH. I like to drive fast. :) Man she drives so well though! Smooth as glass. 90 feels like 60 MPH. Handles so so well. Ran into a huge rain storm and it didn't even phase her on the highway. I love love this SUV.

Today my range said I had 20 miles left to empty and I was able to put 11.2 gallons into it before the gas nozzle shut off. Still not close to the 15.9, but one gallon more than I had been putting in previously. Also learned a lesson about 91 premium gas....not every gas station carries it here in the Kansas/Missouri area. Had to go to a bigger town for gas. E85 is everywhere of course.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I find that the quietness of Lexus vehicles greatly help with having faster speeds feel slower as you don't experience much of a difference in noise levels, since that's the case with some vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts