Lexus NX Forum banner

AWD system Malfunction 2WD Mode Engaged

76K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  lexus4life 
#1 ·
Hi,

We just took our 2015 NX200t AWD to Tahoe over the break and as soon as we encountered a little bit snow and the slightest ice a message appeared:

"AWD system has overheated - switching to 2WD"

Continued to drive in 2WD up until we reached the cabin.
Parked the car in the garage over night.

Backed out of garage in morning on to the main road, the temp was about 5 F. After 10s a new message appeared:

"AWD system Malfunction - 2wd mode engaged"

Then we got stuck on the road - only front wheels spinning. Then we started sliding backward into ditch.

Very disappointed.:(

Dealer took a look at it after we got back to the Bay Area. Cleared the codes and said it passed all tests. I.e. no repair. Sigh.

Don't want to take it up in the snow anymore. Useless.

Still working with the dealer for some sort of resolution.

R.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just encountered the same problem with my 2015 NX200t AWD last night. There was a bad traffic on the high way last night. When I almost passed the traffic jam, the engine check light suddenly went on. It gave me an error message as "AWD system Malfunction - 2wd mode engaged". So I drove my car off the high way and parked it in front of a store. I turned the engine off and back on. The message did not go away. Then I drove it in a low speed back to home. I felt there was something wrong with the drive train or transmission or differential because the acceleration does not function well. I could not accelerate it up to 50 miles. I will drive my car to the dealer to check it out. Very frustrated.................

#5 ·
AWD system malfunction

Why all the AWD system malfunctions? I was leaving for a doctors appointment and my 2016 Lexus won't start. Same message. AWD system malfunction and 2WD engaged. Car won't start. I'm curious if this is a system error due to a problem beyond our control. Seems like it might be a factory issue. Anyone else? I have Lexus roadside assistance on their way now. They think its a battery problem. Everything lights up, radio works, all lights are bright and not flickering or dimming. I'll be shocked if that's the problem.

#6 ·
So I will answer my own question above. It was the battery. Even though nothing was left running the battery was low enough that it would not start the car. All those messages and malfunctions were due to the battery. Lexus Road Service brought a new battery and said this is very common with factory batteries. I think they should do something about that then, don't you? I was so glad I was home and not on the road.

#10 ·
My nx200t died when approaching my house. The engine showed AWD malfunction, engine performance has been reduced, visit dealer. The engine light was on. Car would start but with no power.... It stalled 4 times before j got home.

Plugged in my OBD Scanner and it seems to be fuel pump failure. Did a quick Google search and Toyota recalled over 3 million cars including some Lexus NX for fuel pump failure which would either, not start the car at all, stall the car while in motion, reduce engine power, any issue the vehicle will disable AWD. I'm surprised my 2016 nx was never recalled... Towed it to Lexus dealer yesterday and waiting to see the outcome.

Quite dangerous as I just came off a 50km highway drive....in the middle of the night in bloody South Africa.... If the car stalled I would have been robbed.... Or killed....

So much so for Lexus reliability.... But then again I've never experienced a single issue with this car for the past 6 years almost at 150k km,only had 2 battery replacement. My 2016 Volvo xc90 D5 on the other hand had replacement on.... Alternator, engine mount, both twin turbo, EGR, torque rod.... List so long... I think almost Half the engine compartment was replaced under warranty...

Anyways, all my dudes with NX , watch out for that fuel pump issue....I would change it out in next big service....

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

#11 ·
My NX200t just got services a month ago with the battery, spark plugs replaced. I had the 95000K service done at the same time. The light just came on yesterday morning. My care is drivable, I plan to go to the dealer in the morning to get this resolved by get them to provide new battery on their dime and to ask why there is no engineering notice issued by Lexus about the recurring issue for drivers globally.
Keep you posted on my adventures to the "DEALERSHIP".

#12 ·
My NX200t just got services a month ago with the battery, and spark plugs replaced. I had the 95000K service done at the same time. The light just came on yesterday morning. My care is drivable, I plan to go to the dealer in the morning to get this resolved by getting them to provide a new battery on their dime and to ask why there is no engineering notice issued by Lexus about the recurring issue for drivers globally.
Keep you posted on my adventures in the "DEALERSHIP".
Why hasn't anyone stated if the dealer fixed it and estimated costs?

#18 ·
I have this error message from my 2016 NX200T - I've researched and spoken to the dealership. The suspicion was a low voltage battery so I've had that changed today at a local garage with a memory saver. However the error messages are still on the dashboard. Is this simply a system reset required as I'm still a long way off my next service so don't want to chase in?

#22 ·
I am aware this is an old thread but thanks to the hint about the battery in this post, I was able to fix my issue.

Symptom: AWD System Malfunction - 2WD Mode Engaged Error.
Cause: Inadvertently attempted to start the car with one coil unplugged after replacing the spark plugs.
Solution: 1) Connected the spark plug coil. 2) Unplugged the battery for a couple of minutes and plug it back in. The error code went away.