Lexus NX Forum banner

AWD Malfunction, Check Engine Message

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dan1987zhou 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2015 Lexus NX200t, with a little under 34,000 miles on it. Got into the car yesterday and saw this message "AWD System Malfunction 2 WD Mode Engaged" and the Check Engine light is on. I then proceeded to drive the car a number of miles without any issues. Got into the car today, same error message with the Check Engine light still on. Drove again, less than 10 miles today, with no problems. Car is accelerating normally.

Looked online and see that a lot of people are saying the error message can be related to the battery. The battery in this car is the original, so it's 7 years old. I unscrewed a couple of the caps and noticed that the water level in the battery is low in at least two of the terminals. I have not had any issues starting the car and the lights do not dim when starting the car. Some folks with a similar problem with their RAV4 suggested unhooking battery terminals for a few hours, which seems to clear the codes.

Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if they discovered a simple fix, such as a new battery.

Thanks.