Fuel Grade Discussion: Premium or Regular? What are you using in your Lexus NX? - Page 2 - Lexus NX Forum
 11Likes

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Using the premium is just choosing to spend more for no good reason. Only certain engines need premium fuel, and the manual will tell you. I just implore you to do some research on this so that you don't waste money on premium for no benefit.

LexMex and ProfessorX like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
Using the premium is just choosing to spend more for no good reason. Only certain engines need premium fuel, and the manual will tell you. I just implore you to do some research on this so that you don't waste money on premium for no benefit.
Yup!

Unless i'm buying some car made for fun, like a Lexus RC, I won't care to spend more than I have to.

The NX is my cool commuter and im going minimal on spending.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I used to believe that there is no significant difference between regular and premium, so why spend unnecessarily. Then I got very dissatisfied with my 'BMW' because all through the nine years I drove three models, i used regular fuell. Then, one day i decided to go premium. The difference was obvious. The car was more responsive more "willing" to give me an enjoyable ride, whereas before, it was like an unwilling, lethargic beast of burden dragging it's four feet. Needless to say, i went premium since then and I had had a taste of what "ultimate driving machine" felt like although in entry level only :-)

When I switched to RX, the salesman emphasized the fact that I could use regular gas in it and I did for a while until lethargy became unbearable. Went back to using premium and fell in love with RX all over again.

Enter the NX. I WANT THE EXPERIENCE TO BE FUN, ENJOYABLE from the very start, so premium only for me.
I'm aware, this is all subjective but I am willing to pay extra for what I would consider fun and enjoyable.
So does premium make a difference? It does for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
For maximum engine performance, use the manufacturer's recommended octane rating, which for the turbo is premium. Engine electronics will let the car run on lessor grade gas without pinging, but not meet published hp/torque specs. Octane = Energy, provided the engine is designed for it.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanT View Post
I used to believe that there is no significant difference between regular and premium, so why spend unnecessarily. Then I got very dissatisfied with my 'BMW' because all through the nine years I drove three models, i used regular fuell. Then, one day i decided to go premium. The difference was obvious. The car was more responsive more "willing" to give me an enjoyable ride, whereas before, it was like an unwilling, lethargic beast of burden dragging it's four feet. Needless to say, i went premium since then and I had had a taste of what "ultimate driving machine" felt like although in entry level only :-)

When I switched to RX, the salesman emphasized the fact that I could use regular gas in it and I did for a while until lethargy became unbearable. Went back to using premium and fell in love with RX all over again.

Enter the NX. I WANT THE EXPERIENCE TO BE FUN, ENJOYABLE from the very start, so premium only for me.
I'm aware, this is all subjective but I am willing to pay extra for what I would consider fun and enjoyable.
So does premium make a difference? It does for me.
Well said and I agree completely. Would not even consider putting cheap gas in a Lexus. Always used premium in my vehicles, ski boat included. They just run better!!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Funny debate here. It does seem subjective, but really you can look at objective evidence. I prefer to go with what the evidence says. But to each their own.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 PM

Objective evidence is relevant in matters such as performance,say, how fast from 0-60miles for example. That's objective because it's measurable, but is there an objective measurement for what someone considers fun and enjoyable?
Kennedy likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:20 PM

Saw this article and thought i would post it here as it seems pretty relevant.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...mium-gas-.html

Quote:
Conversely if your car is only designed for 87 octane buying the expensive stuff may do little more than increase your costs. “Putting premium fuel in our vehicles most of the time won’t make a difference,” said Juriga, adding that these cars typically have spark-advance curves that are tuned for regular gasoline and can’t advance enough to take full advantage of the extra octane.

Kennedy likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanT View Post
Objective evidence is relevant in matters such as performance,say, how fast from 0-60miles for example. That's objective because it's measurable, but is there an objective measurement for what someone considers fun and enjoyable?
Correct, if there is differences in numbers in those situations then maybe there is something real happening in their.

I always though you had to jump up quite a few octane numbers to get a noticeable increase, like 100 octane for example.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
Saw this article and thought i would post it here as it seems pretty relevant.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...mium-gas-.html
Thanks for the link. Read it and the gist seems to be: if your engine is designed for premium, use premium; if designed to run on regular, use regular.
David likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page