Lexus NX Forum banner

Purchaser Demographics Thread

38K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  hsvnx 
#1 ·
As the first NX from Lexus, I presume that the NX is going to draw a different buyer demographic than other Lexus models.

I'm curious on the age or age group that some of the people on this forum fall into. Is the NX skewing younger than the average Lexus buyer, or at least the average Lexus RX buyer, now that a smaller crossover is available?

Please post whether you've:
•Ordered a Lexus NX
•Plan to buy (and in approximately how many months
•Just exploring

As well as your age, and anything else you're willing to share that will allow all of us to paint a more accurate picture on just who exactly is buying the NX. This can be a fun thread.

Me:
•25 years old
•Plan to buy in about 5 to 6 months
•This will be my first Lexus, so the NX is definitely a gateway vehicle to the Lexus brand in my case
•Engineer
•Technology enthusiast

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I plan to buy a 300h as soon as it is available in the Boston area. I am 62 and have had an infiniti for the past 9 yrs. this would be my first Lexus. The NX appeals to me as a luxury cross over that is good for road trips my wife and I plan to take after I retire next year. Plan to pay cash, keep it for 10 yrs and benefit from the fuel efficiency. I too am an engineer and have spent 40 yrs with a high tech company so NX does have geek appeal

#7 · (Edited)
42, Field Technician Sup. Plan to buy something as soon as the price is released for the NX, whether or not it is a Lexus. If we buy the NX, This will be our first Lexus, we had purchased Honda, Toyota, Nissan in the past, This is our first step up to a "Luxury" brand. Also considered, RDX, GLA, X3, and the BMW i3...........Dont know how that got in the running...LOL. I think the "Younger" Gens like the German brands. I have a friend whos sister is in her early 30's and she didnt even consider Lexus, Acura or Infinity. Only Mercedes and BMW. They are looking at what kind of cars that would make them look/feel good driving and if they can afford the Lease, not how long it will last. JMHO.

Reactions: PapaT
#24 ·
41 YO
Male
Sales/Mktg
Tech savvy

Thinking of getting the NX though not yet as convinced...currently drive a '10 Volvo XC 60 T6 AWD and our crossover has been reliable and very good vehicle/safe for us. The Volvo definitely has some advantages over the NX but the NX has also newer features that our Volvo doesn't have.

I'm familiar with the service level and reliability having owned a Toyota vehicle in the past so no doubts getting into Lexus brand if it happens. I have kids and the cargo capacity of Volvo much bigger than NX as well as other features with advantage. Only other main considerations for getting NX is that our Volvo dealership where I live is the ONLY dealer here and their service is crappy and that the NX has better mpg with the 2.0T. Volvo has their new 2.0T engine that's slightly more powerful than NX but not yet found in AWD, probably later next year.

Don't know if after sales service matters to most but it definitely matters to me...

#26 ·
We're empty nesters in our early 70's - retired business owner and educators. The NX 300h is our 4th Lexus. We LOVE this car! It's beautiful, comfortable, gets 33+ mpg in town and runs beautifully. We traded in our RX 350 and when we bought it, we wanted a smaller luxury SUV that was a hybrid. However, there was nothing available. The moment we started reading about the NX, we knew this was the car we'd been waiting for. Normally, we'd steer clear of a new model, but the NX has been in Japan for over a year and we think they've perfected it. We love this car - couldn't be happier about our choice.

#27 ·
- 51 yo
- Male
- IT professional

I currently have a 2000 Lexus RX300 with only 73000 miles, but I'm looking for a change. I was planning to purchase 2015 Acura TLX, then came upon the NX 200. Only had one problem on the RX, and that was covered under warranty, so I have first hand experience with the reliability of the Lexus brand. After looking at the NX earlier today, I plan to go back for a test drive next week.

If I were to buy one today, just based on specs and looks, it would be the following:
- NX 200t AWD
- Atomic Silver w/black leather
- Luxury, Premium and Navigation packages
- LED headlamps
- Lane Departure Alert
- Blind Spot Monitor
- Dynamic Cruise Control

#29 ·
NX200t loaded

I'm 68, we're empty nesters.

Don't need too much car but like the concept and edgy design. A little more room behind the 2nd seat for nursery green things or suitcases would be fine.

Car is currently (as of 1/31/15) on special order due to options, including lane change, in Atomic Silver w/ creme interior.

This is my 4th or 5th Lexus.. lost count since my ES250. Most recent ones were RXs.

Looking forward to being young again.

#30 ·
I'm 68, we're empty nesters.

Don't need too much car but like the concept and edgy design. A little more room behind the 2nd seat for nursery green things or suitcases would be fine.

Car is currently (as of 1/31/15) on special order due to options, including lane change, in Atomic Silver w/ creme interior.

This is my 4th or 5th Lexus.. lost count since my ES250. Most recent ones were RXs.

Looking forward to being young again.
Now that is some serious loyalty to Lexus. From the first generation EX to an NX...did you also buy the ES when it was new?

#32 ·
•Picked up 2 weeks ago
•64 years old
•This is my first Lexus, so the NX is definitely a gateway vehicle to the Lexus brand in my case. Wife has had CT200H for 2 years.
•Electrical engineer & consultant in high tech.
•Wondering if HP mods (>>100HP) will come out like they did for WRX/STi. Might be a bit tough on an automatic tranny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.