Lexus Builds a Hoverboard... - Page 3 - Lexus NX Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Yeah that's one thing important that I don't see how it can be implemented. Last thing i've seen like this was a board with 2 wheels on each side, and of course with those wheels on the ground it does the stopping needed, probably just as real as it's going to get and for a very long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
The issue with a hover board, no matter if it uses magnets or propellers or whatever else, is that because it is hovering there is no friction. That means weight imbalance will tip the board, there is no stopping or slowing down the board while riding really, and going over bumps you wouldn't really go over them, you'd more run into them. It might be something more fun to think about in the movies and video games then when you try it in real life, like communism. (jk, but kinda serious)
now how can you possibly say these things about something that has never been seen before. Oh so you know for a FACT that a hover board, which there has never been one, is unstable and impossible to stop?

The Lexus video seems to contradict your notions... Tell the MagLev trains that they're not supposed to stop LOL...

Where do you think Lexus got the hoverboard idea from? It operates on the same principles as Japanes mass transportation
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
So, those trains are on tracks which provides a whole other level of control that a hover board would not get.

I say that its unstable and hard to stop because it is. That is what the guy says about it if you read the articles. Also, think about it, it's not touching the ground. There is no friction. How do you stop something without friction? You need some type of opposing force. Finally, the MagLev trains and this Lexus hoverboard only work on magnetic surfaces so unless you live near this park that Lexus built specifically for this project, really all you will have is a board that does not hover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Good thing they're not selling it then, sounds like a death trap!

It would stop using the same principles that got it moving in the first place

THis is how maglevs stop, the propulsion system is in the tracks, which is also used to stop the train. So the hoverboard either has the propulsion system mounted on board which then makes things fairly simple to slow down, or its in the park, which is equally as easy to slow down.

Quote:
There are no wheels or brake shoes involved: An EDS system can provide both levitation and propulsion using an onboard linear motor. EMS systems can only levitate the train using the magnets onboard, not propel it forward. As such, vehicles need some other technology for propulsion. A linear motor (propulsion coils) mounted in the track is one solution. This linear motor operates to propel the train forward, and when it is necessary to stop the train, the linear motor acts in reverse.
Quote:
If the train needs to be stopped more quickly, the same magnets that pull it forward can be set to push it back. When they do, instead of requiring electrical energy input, they generate electrical energy output, which can be stored in batteries for later use. A similar system is used on some hybrid cars with electrical motors. When braking, the motor converts the mechanical energy of the car’s motion back to electrical energy.
the difficulties you're referring to stem from the fact that the SLIDE proto was calibrated for the guy Lexus put in the video, not the guy from Jalopnik they let try it out some 100 pounds heavier. http://jalopnik.com/the-lexus-hoverb...-it-1721876528
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM

No, the guy who the board was calibrated for also found it difficult to ride, even after he had practised. See these quotes from various articles:

Quote:
Unfortunately these videos can't change the disappointing facts at the heart of the Lexus project, which are that the hoverboard is running on a track, that it only works as long as the liquid nitrogen can keep it cool enough, that it's sort of impossible to ride unless you're a professional skateboarder, and there are no plans to build one you could actually ride.
Quote:
"I've spent 20 years skateboarding, but without friction it feels like I've had to learn a whole new skill, particularly in the stance and balance you need to ride the hoverboard," says McGouran
Secondly, I don't think that it makes sense to use the rails, or in this case the ground of the skateboard park to brake the board. If you could put that system in the board itself, that might work but it would certainly change the way you ride the board because you would need some type of control to activate that system in order to actually slow down or stop.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM

Thought I would post these videos that give some more insight into what's going on with the hoverboard. Straight from the source.

The Ride

The Science

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
While its tough to see how this can one day have real world application, it would be cool if they use it during media events with a pre-set track, in situations like that the board can live on.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
No, the guy who the board was calibrated for also found it difficult to ride, even after he had practised. See these quotes from various articles:

Secondly, I don't think that it makes sense to use the rails, or in this case the ground of the skateboard park to brake the board. If you could put that system in the board itself, that might work but it would certainly change the way you ride the board because you would need some type of control to activate that system in order to actually slow down or stop.
The fact that the two maglev experts Lexus approached about the project initially thought it was impossible is testament to just how impressive the project is despite the fact you might find it difficult to ride.

Lexus has never once attempted to sell it as anything but a marketing project... well done on their part.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The fact that the two maglev experts Lexus approached about the project initially thought it was impossible is testament to just how impressive the project is despite the fact you might find it difficult to ride.

Lexus has never once attempted to sell it as anything but a marketing project... well done on their part.
I never said it wasn't impressive. I think its really, really cool. I'm just discussing the project.

I am not sure that a hover board for the masses is really possible. At least not with this type of technology.

Could be a great starting point that leads to something much more usable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page