ECO Technology - Stop & Start System - Lexus NX Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
ECO Technology - Stop & Start System

Does any know if the ECO Technology Stop & Start System comes in the US version of the NX 200t?

This is the system that stops the engine when the vehicle is stopped and when you press on the gas pedal to go the engine starts back up. I drove two vehicles with this feature and it's very noticeable. I wouldn't purchase the vehicle if it can't be turned off or disabled. In most vehicles you have to turn it off every time the vehicle is started if you don't want it on.

Last edited by CyberDude; 10-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I know that i am not knowledgeable enough about this tech, but this just does not sound like it is good for the engine...to turn on and off instantly over and over again, esp. if you live in city with lots of traffic lights.

The same reason why i am not a fan of Honda's VCM (variable cylinder management) thing.

I think that i just want a regular powertrain with proven technology. Hybrid tech is about as extreme as i will get.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thai the components are beefier to cope with the increased load. Its really only the starter you have to worry about, although I do wonder what it may do to the flywheel...

Quote:
Of course, the starter has to be stout enough to withstand the dramatically increased on-off cycling. A heartier battery is also required to *satisfy the car’s entire electrical needs with its engine off. Otherwise, stop-start is about as easy a fuel-saving technology as driving downhill.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
likely it will cause more wear and tear to parts, but just how much could that be?
it's things like this that worry me what ownership after warranty is going to be like.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Pretty sure they created the system knowing that it would have to endure more. I've been in a BMW with start stop system and you do notice it at first but you get used to it pretty quick and it saves you some gas especially in city driving.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
Pretty sure they created the system knowing that it would have to endure more. I've been in a BMW with start stop system and you do notice it at first but you get used to it pretty quick and it saves you some gas especially in city driving.
Endure for how long...past warranty period? BMW is somewhat famous for that...designing parts that will last thru warrant period but goes kaput afterwards.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
I mean its pretty hard to tell how a system like this will work in the long term. It just hasn't been around long enough to know what the long term effects are. So maybe your right, but I would hope that Lexus doesn't purposefully design them like that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:38 PM
NXT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Fortunately Lexus vehicles are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road, same for Toyota, out of all luxury car makers, i have more faith in them than anyone else.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hybrids have this feature so I think it can be made very reliable. Depending on the logic the manufacture uses to determine engine shut-off, the engine may not be off very much. Example - Engine will be on if you use air conditioning a lot.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
Hybrids have this feature so I think it can be made very reliable. Depending on the logic the manufacture uses to determine engine shut-off, the engine may not be off very much. Example - Engine will be on if you use air conditioning a lot.
True, but Hybrids use Atkinson cycle engine. I am not sure if this makes a difference.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page