post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Mazda CX-5?

Link: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=CX5

Quick Review: http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx...com/mazda/cx-5

I think that this is the best poor-man's NX...probably my 2nd choice if NX proves too expensive for its own good. It has good options...drives very well with more than decent power and acceleration...maybe just a tad slower than NX. Excellent crash testing scores.

Maxed out around $32k. Interior quality is obviously behind, but it also probably costs $5-10k less than NX.

Last edited by Thai; 09-06-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This doesn't belong here, CX5 is not a luxury vehicle, no turbo, interior is crap, and I know because I was in one before, totally cheap as **** inside, everything. Outside looks good though. Price is good, but you get what you pay for.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLasVegas View Post
This doesn't belong here, CX5 is not a luxury vehicle, no turbo, interior is crap, and I know because I was in one before, totally cheap as **** inside, everything. Outside looks good though. Price is good, but you get what you pay for.
No turbo? What does turbo have to do with anything? Ford Fiesta has a turbo...and?

I was in one too. Yeah, the interior is cheaper than NX, but it also costs a lot less. Your point?

Let's see...despite no "luxurious" turbo, it goes 0-60 about the same or just 0.5 seconds slower. B/w turbo or normal-aspirated (NA) engine, i will ALWAYS pick NA for reliability and durability (and cost of maintenance). Now, for me to jump to turbo, then it must provide some degree of improvement that i can feel...or at least brag about!

So, of course, you get what you pay for...and your point being? Again, CX5 is a POOR MAN'S NX. Did you mis-read what i wrote?
mojo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lexus, MB, RDX, Q3, all near $40G's, CX5 =cheap, if we're gonna start like this, what's next? NX vs RAV4, NX vs Tucson...?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLasVegas View Post
Lexus, MB, RDX, Q3, all near $40G's, CX5 =cheap, if we're gonna start like this, what's next? NX vs RAV4, NX vs Tucson...?
Again, do you know what "poor man's" mean?

What is NX? NX is a luxury compact SUV with sporting intentions, right?

Does RAV4, Tucson, CRV have sporty handling and decent acceleration? No.

Does CX-5 have sporty handling and acceleration to match? YES.

Does CX-5 have MOST of the features/options of NX? YES.

CX-5 also has BOSE audio system, Smartstop tech, NAVI, leather...and similar size to NX. In fact, since NX comes with a stock 8-speaker audio system with no upgrades (at least based on info so far), the CX-5 has NX beat in the audio dept (even tho BOSE ain't the best).

I would also bet that CX-5 can keep up NX on a race track. Can RAV4 do that? No.

Look at your signature...Hyundai Santa Fe????? YOU are considering a non-luxury SUV...and you complain why i brought up CX-5?? And you seem to like sporty handling...the CX-5 can probably run circles around your cherished Hyundai!

Again, POOR MAN'S.
mojo likes this.

Last edited by Thai; 09-07-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mazda CX-5 specs:

Length = 179.3
Width = 72.4
Height = 65.7
Wheelbase = 106.3
Ground clearance = 8.5

Fuel economy for 2.5 FWD = 25/32 AWD = 24/30 (regular gas)
----------------------------
NX specs:

Length = 183.3
Width = 73.6
Height = 64.8
Wheelbase = 104.7
Ground clearance = 6.9

Fuel economy = 22/28 (FWD) 21/28 (AWD) (premium gas)

CX-5 performance per C&D:
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 22.3 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.8 sec @ 87 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 123 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 166 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g*
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I was looking at the CX-5 a couple of years ago when it looked like it was going to have a diesel. Based on your need for good fuel economy and fine handling, it is a reasonable choice. I thought the CX-5 was a little small in the cargo area for my needs, but will review it again at the auto show. I would take a good test drive to see if the suspension isn't too harsh and the seats are supportive for you.

For me, if this sized vehicle met my needs, I would also consider the Subaru Forester 2.0 (turbo). I wouldn't mind the penalty for the turbo as performance is really good (mid 6 sec 0 to 60) when needed and the all wheel drive system is one of the best.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
I was looking at the CX-5 a couple of years ago when it looked like it was going to have a diesel. Based on your need for good fuel economy and fine handling, it is a reasonable choice. I thought the CX-5 was a little small in the cargo area for my needs, but will review it again at the auto show. I would take a good test drive to see if the suspension isn't too harsh and the seats are supportive for you.

For me, if this sized vehicle met my needs, I would also consider the Subaru Forester 2.0 (turbo). I wouldn't mind the penalty for the turbo as performance is really good (mid 6 sec 0 to 60) when needed and the all wheel drive system is one of the best.
For me, the 2.5 is reasonably efficient and fast enough that i don't mind skipping diesel.

I actually test drove one a year or so ago. Suspension is sporty for sure and interior noise levels were decent (not good/great). My only issue at that time was the anemic engine. The transmission was very responsive though...and i can only imagine how that works with the new 2.5 engine.

I have a Subaru now...wonderful SUV. But, sadly, the major irritation is the lack of auto lock which is important for my wife (who drives it) and the kids. WTF is Subaru thinking esp with their numerous safety campaigns?! (Oh yeah, no maintenance reminder either!)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
When you say auto lock, do you mean doors lock when transmission is moved out of park? I think it is a great feature. Btw, 2015 CX-5 is on Mazda's website. Looks like a minor facelift.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
When you say auto lock, do you mean doors lock when transmission is moved out of park? I think it is a great feature. Btw, 2015 CX-5 is on Mazda's website. Looks like a minor facelift.
Yes. Can you imagine that?! My old Corolla had it.

Thanks for heads up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page